Grapefruit peel has long been used by our grandparents for medicine and food. Grapefruit is easy to find and also easy to use, so it is applied in many fields such as pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, gastronomy… Instead of throwing away, grapefruit peels can be cleverly utilized for many unexpected benefits. This article will explore how to use dried grapefruit peel and the interesting uses it brings.
Table of Contents
1. What is grapefruit peel?
Grapefruit with the scientific name Citrus grandis (L) belongs to the Orange-Rutaceae family. The grapefruit peel is Exocarpium Citri Grandis. It is used medicinally as a rough green shell on the outside, which removes the porous white crust inside.
The grapefruit tree is a tree 5-10m tall. The shell occasionally to exude a gummy substance. The branch has small thorns, the thorn grows standing at the leaf line. The leaves are oval in shape with 2 heads, the leaves are whole, tough; the lateral veins are 8 pairs, the veins are small, prominent on the underside, the petioles have long, hairy branches on the underside, the petioles are winged, hairy on the underside, numerous in the middle.
Flowers grow in clusters of 6-10 flowers, the peduncle is hairy, the bracts are striped, hairy. The flowers are white, large, very fragrant, sepals 4-5, round with hairs, 5 petals, 24 loose stamens, short by half petals, thick gall disc, spherical, hairy, long proboscis, head binomial, large.
The fruit is spherical, 15-30cm in diameter, has a thick pulp and the color varies depending on the type of grapefruit, usually has 12 citrus fruits, the flesh is sweet and sour depending on the type.
2. The use of dried grapefruit peel
2.1 Use in beauty, skin care
- Skin Mask: A mixture of dried grapefruit peel puree combined with ingredients such as honey, yogurt, or rose water can form a natural nourishing mask. This mask helps soothe the skin, provides nutrients to the skin, and brightens the skin naturally.
- Natural toner: Soaking water from dried grapefruit peel can be used as a natural toner. This water has the ability to soothe and brighten the skin, helping to balance the pH of the skin and tighten pores.
- Acne Treatment: Grapefruit peels contain antibacterial and anti-inflammatory substances, which can be used to treat acne. A mixture of dried grapefruit peel puree combined with rose water or aloe gel can be applied directly to the acne skin area to help soothe and reduce inflammatory swelling.
- Make a luminous whitening mask: Grapefruit peels are high in antioxidants and vitamin C, which help to lighten the skin and reduce darkening. You can make a mask by mixing dried grapefruit peel puree with lemon juice and honey, then apply to the skin of the face for about 15-20 minutes and rinse with warm water.\
2.2 Respiratory health support
- Anti-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory: Grapefruit peels contain compounds that are anti-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory, which can help reduce inflammation in the respiratory tract. These effects can help soothe symptoms such as rhinitis, sore throat, and bronchitis.
- Support the immune system: Nutrients found in grapefruit peel such as vitamin C and minerals can help strengthen the immune system. A strong immune system helps the body fight pathogens and bacterial infections in the respiratory system.
2.3 Promotes hair health
- Vitamin and mineral supplements: Grapefruit peels contain many vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, vitamin E, and potassium. These nutrients help to nourish the hair, make it healthier and reduce breakage.
- Soothes the scalp: The grapefruit peel contains substances that have the ability to soothe the scalp, helping to reduce itching and irritation of the scalp. Maintaining a healthy scalp is important for beautiful hair.
- Create shine: Grapefruit peel contains nutrients that have the ability to make hair shiny and smooth. You can use water from dried grapefruit peel after bathing to wash your hair, or form a natural conditioner to soothe and nourish your hair.
- Treat weak, split ends: Dried grapefruit peel can also be used to create a natural oil that promotes the health of weak, split ends. This oil can be applied to the hair, gently massaged and left overnight, then washed off the next morning.
2.4 Assist in the treatment of bad breath
- Make a natural mouthwash: Grapefruit peels contain natural anti-bacterial substances that can help clean and kill bacteria in the mouth. You can soak dried grapefruit peels in boiling water to make a natural mouthwash. When this water cools, you can use it to rinse your mouth daily to reduce bad breath and eliminate bacteria that cause odor.
- Treatment of the throat and respiratory tract: Hydration from dried grapefruit peel can help cleanse the throat and respiratory tract, helping to eliminate bacteria and triggers of unpleasant odors.
- Make a natural mouth mask: Dried grapefruit peel mashed together with rose water or tea water can be applied to the mouth area for a few minutes, then washed off with warm water. This mixture has the ability to soothe and cleanse the mouth, which can be used to create natural mouth masks.
2.5 Assists in the treatment of constipation
- Fiber: The grapefruit peel contains fiber, an important ingredient that enhances bowel movements and stimulates digestion. Fiber is able to absorb water and form soft fecal masses, which facilitates digestion and relieves constipation.
- Digestive support: Nutrients in grapefruit peel, such as enzymes and organic acids, can aid digestion by enhancing the activity of digestive enzymes and balancing the pH in the stomach.
3. Several ways to use dried grapefruit peel
- For phlegm cough: take 10 grams of grapefruit peel, rinse, cut into fibers, steam together with alum sugar. Drinking 2-3 times a day helps to dilute phlegm, reduce cough.
- Cure stomach pain: Peach grapefruit peel, marigold leaves, tangerine peel (bare dermis). The ratio of 3 equal pills gives a small powder. Take 2 times a day, 5 grams each.
- Enema: Grapefruit peel 12 grams, buffalo leaves 20 grams, mackerel bark 20 grams. Take with you a cup of medicinal water, drink it once so that you can go outside.
- Cure colds, cold abdominal pain: Grapefruit peels are dried, burned and steamed into the navel.
- Cure for emphysema: According to Hai Thuong Lan Ong, peach grapefruit peel, pine wood, kitchen soot, equal amount of 20 — 30 grams, matchstick (potassium nitrate) 12 grams, herbal log (lamp wick grass) 8g. Every day the tincture is drunk twice on an empty stomach. Salty and salt diet.
- Cure postpartum edema: According to the treasured cypress, use dried grapefruit peels, which are of equal volume and have a smooth spread. Drink 8 grams each on an empty stomach. If you take a decoction, then each tincture is 20-30 grams.
- Helps hair grow fast and smooth: Heat shampoo with grapefruit peel, incense, betel, lemon balm, mint. Or use essential oil of grapefruit peel and base oil (coconut oil, olive oil) gently squeeze into the hair. These two ways will help the hair become shiny, strong and grow hair. Especially effective for mothers with hair loss after childbirth.
- For medicinal or culinary purposes, it is recommended to choose grapefruit of obvious origin, without residues of plant protection drugs. It is recommended to choose grapefruit peel that is free from pests, does not wilt. This helps to avoid unnecessary reactions.
- If you are allergic to oranges, lemons, tangerines, then there is a high probability that you may be allergic to grapefruit peel. Therefore, it is not recommended to use and consider other alternatives.
If you are interested, please contact me, good price, high quality.